Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

I came home tonight and dinner was almost ready!! I love my Crock Pot so much I own three different versions. It took me a total of 10mins in the morning to get things started and about 20 when I got home to shred the chicken and make the dumplings.

Ingredients:
1 Whole Chicken
2qts low sodium chicken stock (you can use water just make sure you season it)
2 celery stalks chopped
2 whole carrots chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp cayenne pepper
2tsp salt
2tsp ground black pepper

For Dumplings:
2C Bisquick
2/3C milk
1tsp salt
1tsp ground black pepper

Directions:
Rinse and pat dry chicken. Place in a slow cooker with celery, carrot, onion, garlic powder, cayenne, salt, pepper and cover with chicken stock. Turn on slow cooker and cook for 6-8hrs (or like I say "until you get home"). Remove chicken and let cool. To make dumplings mix together Bisquick and milk until it forms a loose dough and set aside. Pull chicken apart into large bite size chunks. Place chicken back into the slow cooker (this is a great time to check for seasoning). Add dumplings 1Tbsp at a time until all dough is used. Cover and turn cooker on high for 30-40mins or until dumplings are firm. Ladle into large bowls and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment